Friday, April 5, 2013

Shamrock 10 miler and 5k

For Palm Beachers this is the largest St. Patrick's Day race around.  I ran this race (the 5k) for the first time last year.  In 2012, this race was coupled with a great "Spring Training" 10k that wound through the neighborhood's surrounding Roger Dean Stadium, home of the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals spring training games.


They canceled the Spring Training event this year which I personally thought made the weekend a bit less fun.

The best thing about this 10 miler is the course.  It winds through a very pretty part of central palm beach county with plenty of water views.  That being said, I would be cautious of selecting this race for middle to back of the pack runners.  I only ran the 5k, but the course support I saw was limited.  Moreover, I am a person who likes to have a group of people around them when I'm running- I don't like to be the only person on a section of a course.  It makes me nervous that I will take a wrong turn and aside from that running with others motivates me.  

The 5k was fun- but a bit tricky.  The course narrows to a walking path which makes passing tricky.  This is not a course for a PR.  That being said, there were wonderful costumes, great energy, and fun medals.  This is a perfect race to run with a group of friends before a fun St. Patricks day celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment